Saturday, October 27, 2012

My Texas

Even though I might be a world traveler and had many different experiences in different cultures and understand the world a fair bit more than some people, there are still something I think or believe that make no sense at all. Like my love for Texas, before moving to Comfort, I had only ever been in the airport in Houston once before this in April of grade 11 when I was on my way to Guatemala. My love for Texas is so random and the things that I thought about Texans were way way off. So here are the random things I thought about Texas and the Texans that live here--
·         All barns (mainly everywhere in the world) are red – so not true. Sitting on the back deck of the dorm I can see a huge white barn. White. Of all colors to paint a barn, they wanted it white. Weird.
·         They all like country music – no way Jose! I was talking to one of the maintenance works, Levi and he hates country music and he has only ever lived in Texas other than that one year where he lived in B.C. going to Capernwray Harbour. I don’t understand why he doesn’t like country music.
·         All Texans drive trucks – there are a lot of nice cars down here. Everyone drives a nice car, there are few ugly, beat up cars here and most of them are black. That totally doesn’t make sense since it’s so hot here the sun would make the car super-hot inside. There are trucks here but not as much as I thought there would be.
·         They all ride horses into town – that always happens in the movies. But apparently not in real life.
·         They all wear cowboy hats – not so much. A lot of them actually wear ball caps, which is cool too but not really cowboy-ish.
·         The girls have long blonde hair – just jokes! But actually most of them have long hair but all different colors.  
·         They all must be tan – no no. Some of these people are not tan at all, I am pretty white and wow they are super super white.  
·         The guys all drink black coffee – not true! I drink black coffee and there coffee is not the same color as mine. But there coffee down here is not overly tasty at all.
·         All Texans have a thick Texan accent – not everyone. Some people down here don’t sound Texan at all, they don’t really have an accent just a voice.
I don’t know how I come up with these things sometimes.
Love,
a.m

1 comment: